Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Movie Review

            Since The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will be in theaters next month, I have to decided to do reviews for the Lord of the Rings trilogy beforehand, and this is actually my first time watching the trilogy. I have just watched and am here to review the first one, The Fellowship of the Ring. This is the movie in which I have never seen a ring be so powerful.

            Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is about a young hobbit names Frodo that comes in counter with the very powerful ring once owned by the dark lord Sauron, who was defeated once. But he is still alive through the ring and is now this huge eye and is controlling the leader of the witches to get his ring back while Frodo and a group of several people try to get the ring to the only in can be destroyed in and destroy it. I had known about the love of this film and how it is now a classic, so I had somewhat high expectations for this movie. I do not think it is excellent, but I do think it is great.

            This movie has a huge cast that will not bother even starting on, but I will say that everyone brings their A-game to the movie as we have a huge midst of great and excellent performances. There is not one bad performance and I was so surprised when I found that the lead actor was that great as Frodo, being a child actor. The acting in this film is definitely great.

            Now I will get to the writing. This script is amazing. The film opened up with a monologue, which I do not like, because it is just a way to give out all of the information just by feeding it to us. But it worked for the movie. With how complicated the story is this is best the way the film could have opened to tell us everything. For the whole movie, I could not find a flaw with the writing. I never thought that a scene was poorly written. I never found any of the dialogue to be bland and anything but fresh. I did not think transitions in the film were written badly. I did not find a flaw with the writing. Not only does the writing have no bad aspects, it also has some great aspects. For example, the dialogue was great. It illustrated to us exactly what we needed to know and it was compelling at times. It was one of the leading factors to the first half of the movie. Scenes were written to show us exactly what we need. The writing was great for this movie. It is not perfect, but it does what it needs to do, and has added bonuses.

            Now I will get to the direction and cinematography. I will start by saying the cinematography is absolutely fantastic. The film looks excellent. There little to no times when I thought “CGI”. I do not think there any times that I though “Green screen”. It is easy to tell that Peter Jackson is a very visual director, but he makes this amazing cinematography look somewhat real for the film. It is framed beautifully and the images jump out at you. Also, the directing style of Peter Jackson is great. It has very well directed action sequences and just has great direction overall. When people are talking, Jackson sometimes decides to use one style, but sometimes decides to use another. This movie has excellent cinematography and great direction.

            In this paragraph I will get to the plot. While this film is a very original and cool idea, it also has some great twists and is very unpredictable, and that is due to its originality. That is because you are so unfamiliar with plot that you have no idea what might come next, and it brought for some very thrilling surprises. The events for this film were handled greatly. We had some very intense scenes mainly due to the directing style of the movie. It was the way this movie was executed that made the events so intense and unpredictable. This film has great events and a great story.

            This is where I will get to the enjoyment of the film. I will break it all down here. I really, really enjoyed this film. I will deconstruct it right now. I felt the film’s first half was stronger than the second, even though the second half is when most of it went down. The first half was just so suspenseful and had much more tension than the second half. There were not very many moments I just enjoyed in the first half of the movie, too. It was greater than the second half, even though the second half was still very, very good. It is just that when they get to Rivendell is slows down and gets a little boring. Though, it picks up and the journey begins which is intense and has great action. Though, the down moments of the second half where there is mostly dialogue are not as strong as the down moments in the first half. I still enjoyed them, but the dialogue was not as compelling as it was in the first half. The movie still, as a whole has barely any moments that lack of enjoyment and not a very large number of moments that were just good. Of course my biggest flaw of the movie is that it is too long and it could have been tones down a bit. I really, really enjoyed the film.

            Something I will bring up right now is the score. The score is fantastic in this movie. It grasps the tone of the movie so well to which it adds to the tone of the film or sometimes even changed the tone of the film. It fits in perfectly and definitely is excellent.

            The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring has great acting, great writing, excellent cinematography, great direction, great events, a great story, I really enjoyed it, and it has an excellent score, but it does have some boring moments, some moments that could have been toned down a bit and it was too long. Everything in this movie set out for it to be excellent, or even one of my favorite movies, if I loved it (enjoyment wise). If I enjoyed this movie more, it would have been at least excellent to me, and not just great, which is what this movie is.


            On my rating system, I rate the movie “I’ll Probably Buy This”.
            On the grading rating system, I give it an A-.
            On the out-of-10 rating system, I give the film a 8.9/10.





No comments:

Post a Comment