Thursday, November 21, 2013

American Horror Story: Coven Episode 7 "The Dead" Review

WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THIS EPISODE

            This is the lowest rated episode of the season so far on IMDb, and it is also my least episode of the season so far. I did enjoy most of this episode, but I had many flaws with it. I will start with those. There are countless numbers of illogical, unrealistic, physic-breaking things that happen in this episode. Some of these events broke rules that the show already made for itself, and some of which did not fit the character that did these things. Every character in this episode appears to be the worst level of bipolar, because they switch moods really quickly. A large number of the things they do are very hard to believe, because the actions committed by the character do not fit the character. Also, the score was horrible in this episode. It was way too over-dramatic and did not fit the scenes it made an appearance in well. Thirdly, some of the drama really did not work in the episode. It did not interest me and it got to be point of which it started to become hard to enjoy. Lastly, some of the episode’s drama seemed like Soap-Barbara drama. It had bad writing, was way too over-dramatic, and had the female constantly going back in forth between being with the man and not being with the man. (Fiona with/not with The Axeman)

            I will start with Zoe here. Before the intro of this episode, we see that Kyle get many of the tattoos that his friends had that he made fun of. I was glad to see that, because it does pay attention to past events of this story so that the show gets an ounce of realism back. But then Zoe comes in with a gun prepared to shoot him, then the intro starts. The next time we see them, she tries to shoot him and he takes the gun, of course. Then, he shoots right beside her head into the glass, without her freaking out because a very loud gun just shot right beside her head. Later, she is trying to teach him to be a normal person, but he will not be a normal person. I am pretty sure to be smart enough to know that he is impossible. Anyway, Cordelia then wants to see her and tells her that she knows that Fiona killed Madison. Who did not know that she was going to figure that out in this episode? I predicted that Cordelia would propose to kill Fiona, and guess what she does? Then, as I predicted, she finds out that Madison and Kyle are getting along very well. And I have some questions about that. If Madison has no idea what/who Kyle is, why does she immediately start talking and complaining to him? Why does he listen to her and not Zoe? He probably does not even know what she means. Later, Zoe gets Spalding’s tongue back on him and interrogates him. I have two questions about that. If she found his tongue that long ago, why is she just now reattaching it? How does she even know if that is his tongue that he cut off years ago? Anyway, she asks him questions that she already knows the answer to, and then just kills him. She has no reason to kill. I guess the writers thought that there needed to be some blood in this episode. Later, after she gets out of the show, she has a horribly written conversation with Madison, and then gets with Kyle through Madison. I do not like the direction they are going with this character, because she is not going through any phases. She is just automatically changing from girl who will go anything to get this boy to psycho killer.

            Now, I will get to Fiona and The Axeman. This story was my least favorite of the episode. I already said that it was like a Soap-Barbara, but it just did not entertain me. The moments of this episode that were less enjoyable to me were these moments. It was not only the kitchen scene that was like this, but also the scene in the morning after they get up. I do like the storyline that Fiona is losing hair, but they addressed it too much. Also, when she goes into the bathroom, why did she not smell that dead body? And when she finds out that there is a dead body in the shower, why is she just fine with it? But we get a cool twist. The Axeman had been watching her since she was seven. I did not expect that and was surprised by it. But there was not much else I liked in this storyline except for the “hair loss” premise and that is was not dreadful to watch. I do not like the direction they are going with Fiona, but I do like the direction they are going in with The Axeman, because of that cool twist.

            Lastly, I will get to Queenie and Madame LaLaurie, which is my favorite storyline of this episode. That is solely because at the beginning I was starting to get into the chemistry they have together. We see first that Queenie and LaLaurie are actually fairly similar, and I liked that. Then, they go to the fast food place, and have some nice chemistry. But then LaLaurie says that she will never fit in with the other girls because she is black. Then, Queenie stupidly, yet unexpectedly, goes to Marie Laveau herself to get advice. Laveau then tells her to bring LaLaurie to her, because apparently LaLaurie deserves it. I really do not like anyone would be as stupid as Queenie to follow their enemy’s advice, especially when she should know that it is clear that Laveau is trying to get into her head. But Queenie goes ahead and gives it a shot and asks LaLaurie what the worst thing she has ever done is. Then LaLaurie stupidly tells her, and I am pretty sure that really is the worst thing she has ever done. Why would she just tell that to someone she barely knows? And Queenie has never asked something like that before, so why is she not suspicious? Anyway, Queenie then stupidly takes what was her new friend to Laveau to be tortured with no problem at all with it, and then starts cutting her with a knife at the end. This character is not that dark. Characters do not change this quickly. She really liked LaLaurie at the beginning of the episode, but now she will stab LaLaurie. I am not interested in the direction they are going in with Queenie, because of the same reasons I am not interested in the direction they are going with Zoe. I do want LaLaurie to get out of there, though.

            This episode, while being mostly enjoyable, had a bad script and bad score. It was directed fine, but it also did not turn out as well as it could have, even with this screenplay and this score.


            I give this episode a C+ and a 5.6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment