Saturday, November 2, 2013

American Horror Story: Coven Episode 4 "Fearful Pranks Ensue" Review

WARNING: I GIVE SPOILERS FOR THE EPISODE!

            Sorry that this review is also late, but like I said in my review of this week’s episode of The Walking Dead, I did a few things that got me away from the reviews, so now I am just coming back.

            This time I will actually start with Marie Laveau. We did not see much of Zoey in this episode. First off, I will say that the prologue for this episode was really cool. It had an awesome action sequence and brought about a conflict through the actions of the white men. At the beginning of the episode, Laveau receives the head of the beast she unleashed on the Coven and is deciding to get back at them… using the same thing she used against the white men. In this episode we not only see her character freak out (by the way excellent performance by Angela Bassett), but we also see her perform some very cool spells. I like the witchcraft element of this show, and we got quite a bit of that in this episode. At the end, the “zombies” finally get to the Coven’s house, and we do not really see Laveau, but I wanted to mention in this paragraph that it really surprised me and intrigued me that at least one of the “zombies” was part of Delphine LaLaurie’s family. It was a very good way to end the episode and it really interested me.

            Now I will talk about Cordelia Foxx’s husban’s small side story. I was incorrect when I said that her side story with her husband was unneeded a few episode reviews ago. This one was a big shocker. He is having an affair with another woman, and then kills her later in the morning. The scene when he murders the woman really shocked me. I am now interested in this side story, which will obviously bring much drama and conflict in future episodes.

            I will now mention the meetings with the council. They brought some good humor to the screen, but we also learned about some new characters and some of Fiona’s past. The most important and biggest new character we learn about is Myrtle Snow. I was really interested in her story of how she knew that Fiona killed the supreme and the spell she put on Spalding. We see her as a character regress even though you do not really even know her. We see her become more and more jealous of Fiona. And we also learn Spalding’s efforts to try to get Fiona out of trouble. I like how we are getting more depth to all the characters and learning about new characters. It was a very interesting and set out for good drama in future episodes of this season.

            Now I will talk about the episode in general. While I have been mentioning only positives to the episode, there are some negatives. This is a “talking episode”, so there is not always an incredible amount of enjoyment in this episode. It was not great and it had several bland and some boring moments. It did have elements and aspects of itself that did not fit in with the construction of the episode. They do try to have a bit more drama than the script accounts for. Though, this episode did have many laughs, it had really fun action sequences, it had some good drama and character developments, and we got a new and more interesting side story. I also forgot to mention how Zoey loses Tate 3.0. That is a good thing for the episode, but they drove away from that side plot of the episode, so now it does not seem as real as the rest of the show seems. I do hope they get back to the plot, though.

I give this episode, on the out-of-10 rating system, an 8.0/10.
And on the grading rating system, I give this episode a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment