Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Review


            Now that The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, it is time to review the third and final film of the trilogy, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, which is quite an experience and contains a spoiler for the film in its title… but I think we all knew it was coming.

            Just like the first two, this film has a huge cast that I will not even bother starting on and is directed by Peter Jackson. It is about many things, but I will not give the plot away for a specific reason. If you have not seen any of the Lord of the  movies, then you need to stay away from anything you could hear about them, even a summary/synopsis, and just rent (or buy) them and watch them. This is because the first two are great movies… and the third, well…

            I have been holding something back for the first two paragraphs in this review and that is that this may be the best (and my favorite) movie I have ever seen. If not, then this is for sure one of my all time favorites and would be my second favorite, but I think it may very well be my number one. I cannot even talk about this movie through sections, but I can refrain from spoilers, which is what I am going to do. I will not explain why this is favorite (or second favorite) movie of all time.

            We get a very, very good and dark start to the film with a slightly different score and script, but the music and screenplay are both by the same people as the first two. The first hour of this movie is somewhat slow, but it is a very solid start. I really enjoyed most of it and loved some of it. It was a very, very good start to the movie. But when the first hour is over, everything starts.

            The next about two hours and fifteen minutes of this movie are almost all riveting. I absolutely adored every second of this two hours and fifteen minutes of the movie. We get absolutely fantastic character improvements and developments. There are many moments that made me want to cheer. The score is perfect. The action sequences are directed fantastically. Everything looks excellent. There is much, much intensity. You want to yell at some characters on screen and you want to kill some. All of these two hours and fifteen minutes is extremely intense and there are very small moments that are not riveting. We get an underlying theme that “No matter how bad it gets, all you need is some type of courage or motivation.” I predicted nothing that happened. I thought many things were going to happen that did not. I was surprised by almost all of these plot twists and turns and plot events. I cannot even describe the awesomeness of this movie. There were many times in these action sequences in which I was both riveted by the sequences but absolutely loving them at the same time.

            It is so hard to review this movie because there are not very many things I can say about this film. It is so spectacular that I cannot even describe it. The acting in this film is better than the acting in the first two: It is phenomenal. The writing throughout this whole film is some of the best writing that I have ever seen is and is much better than the first two. Many people who have not seen this film say that they will not watch because it is too long. Even if I am about to watch a six hour movie, I will not say that it is too long unless I have already watched it and the script and execution was not able to cover the running time, therefore the film was boring. There were no moments in this film that I did not at least really enjoy. That is the closest the film got to being dull, but that is still really far away. This film is absolutely not too long.

            This film is not perfect throughout the whole running time like it is for a very large portion of the running time, but it makes up for that by going above and beyond for many elements of the film. For example, the look of the film goes above and beyond, like it did in the first two. As I had already said, there are some moments where it is a “double excellent”, I am both loving it and riveted by it. Those are examples of elements that go above and beyond. There are some more, but I will not bother mentioning them. This movie has perfect endings for all of the characters. The final conclusion to this movie is also excellent and incredibly emotionally compelling and satisfying.

            One last thing I will get to about this film is the emotion. This movie has the best emotion out of the trilogy by far, but it is also probably the most emotionally compelling movie I have ever seen. It has fantastic emotion that works every time it is used. Characters that I would mostly be annoyed with in a movie, I cared about in this movie. That is another example of how this film goes above and beyond.


            I, of course, have no flaw at all with The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I give it a 10.0/10. It is extremely hard for a movie to get this rating from me. That rating also implies and absolute “Awesomely Awesometastic” and I absolutely give this film an A+.

1 comment:

  1. I have never been tempted to wade through this series, but after reading this review I plan to watch them all.

    ReplyDelete