Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Movie Review




            The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will hit theaters soon, so for my final chapter of the Middle Earth movies I review, I will review the first in The Hobbit trilogy. This film is directed by Peter Jackson and stars many, many people that I will not start with. It is about a young hobbit names Bilbo Baggins that is asked to go on a journey to kill a dragon by Gandalf, a wizard. He then goes on a journey with Gandalf and several dwarves, but not all goes as planned.

            
           With its many journeys, The Hobbit is, none the less, an enjoyable film. It has good journeys that will take you into another place. There is some fun and intensity to the movie. The score also holds up to the scenes and sometimes makes them better. The film rarely got dull to me. I enjoyed it. In the first hour, there is some good humor. There are elements of fun to it. I did not mind things in the movie that bugged many people. I went into this film with semi-low expectations, did not watch it in forty-eight frames per second, and I decided to enjoy it.


            Though, there are negatives that come with the fun. The movie also has its fair share of underwhelming action scenes. Director Peter Jackson seems to have lost some of his sense of direction. There is one action scene in particular that was filmed in a way that I felt nothing and I enjoyed watching some of the dialogue better. Also, there is humor in the first forty-five minutes to hour of this film. But it also has cheesy elements. There are actually many cheesy elements. It feels like a cheesy comedy that has good humor, but gets old after a while, because there are also quantities of bad humor while there is good humor. While I did go into the movie the way I did, I expected darkness and not cheese. When I said “The film rarely got dull to me”, I meant that there were some short, dull moments. They came from the drawn out scenes. Some of these scenes were too drawn out and stopped being fresh. They became rotten.

With director Peter Jackson, you will expect a spectacular look and the look of this film is very, very good. The visuals are not mind-blowing like we have seen before, but they are satisfying and do not take part of the stale, green screen environment that it very well could have. The actors also work to their near best, bringing upon very, very good performances.

For another movie taking place in Middle Earth, most would expect a different and very strong villain. I had no expectations above normal, so I was just hoping for at least a fine villain. Though, the villain (or better explained: antagonist) was weak. It showed the villain too early, we only knew one thing about the villain, and it had motivation. He was just there to be the villain and I felt nothing against him. Also, the protagonist (Bilbo Baggins) was not strong to me, either. Like the majority of people, I felt annoyed by him and never truly got into him until the end. There is also one other side character they I was supposed to be emotionally attached to, but I did not care about him throughout the whole movie.

For my last flaw with the movie, I will talk about how many aspects of this movie are Hollywoodized. By that I mean that I have flaws with this movie that I have with a large number of movies today. There are many little times when the film does not have physics and does several unrealistic things. Maybe someone falls very far and they do not die. There are also times when characters are forced to be stupid. Maybe someone does not notice when someone is running from where they are supposed to be looking to run to them and kill them. Things like that happen repetitively in this movie.

I do thing that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is an alright movie that is enjoyable, but it has flaws.

            It does contain enjoyment for viewers and bring back some sparks of greatness from The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but it also has weak plot points and underwhelming action.

No comments:

Post a Comment