Monday, December 16, 2013

"Sinister" Blu-Ray Collection Movie Review

        It is the third week of the month, so it is time for a Blu-Ray Collection movie review. In this review, I will talk about my Blu-Ray of Sinister, directed by Scott Derrickson and starring Ethan Hawke about a crime writer who moves his family to a new house to investigate murders that happened there but to find a collection of Super 8 homemade films that lead him and his family into grave danger.

            
            This is my third Blu-Ray Collection movie review, and for the first two I just mentioned why I bought the film on Blu-Ray, but anything about the sound or look of the film on Blu-Ray. I now believe that since I am basically reviewing a Blu-Ray, I should talk about and rate the quality of the film. I will mention the look and audio of it.

            Sinister looks very good on Blu-Ray. The cinematography for the movie is very good, and the transformation to Blu-Ray format helps to really show off the cinematography and almost seemed to light up the pixels on the television. I really like how this film looks on Blu-Ray.

            This movie sounds good on Blu-Ray. Although the sound does not go above and beyond, it is still some good sound that works well for the film. The score is well-handled and I did not have a hard time hearing the sound of the movie. I like how this film sounds on Blu-Ray.

            Now it is time to explain why I believe that this film is worth buying on Blu-Ray. This film has, I believe, one of the best horror movie stories in the past decade. I love the story in this film and how it is a very different idea from what types of stories we have gotten from films, especially horror films. I was very surprised by most of the events and I was especially surprised by the ending. All of these plot points were very unpredictable and the ending was fantastic as is the entire story for the movie.

            The writing is also very good. Although we get some silly lines, I believe that the dialogue is written very and that these are realistic lines coming out of these people’s mouths. The story is told throughout several odd scenes, but it works. The script is very unconventionally written and it really, really works for the film, too. I also think that some characters and some scenes may be more metaphorical than literal and that they maybe just represent something. I think that this is a very good and underrated script.

            Another reason why I own this film is because of the surprising amount of enjoyment I get out of out. I loved some scenes in this film, and I really enjoy almost all of the rest. That is because of the script, but mainly the story and execution, which is, like the writing, also very unconventional and different. Derrickson really directs this movie very, very well. I am very interested in this case and I want to see where the plot goes after this and what will happen after this. This is film is also a scary movie. Out of all the forty or fifty or so horror movies I have seen, this is one of the only ones that has actually scared me. It bothered me afterwards and it did its job well.


            I think that this is a great horror and one of my all time favorite horror movies. On my list of my favorite horror movies of all time I put this at number, but I am not sure that it deserves that spot. Yes, I just said that is one of my all-time favorite horror movies, but I do not know that it would be number one. Still, I own this movie, I really, really enjoy watching it, and I will probably watch it again in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment