Saturday, October 19, 2013

"Signs" Blu-Ray Collection Movie Review

            Along with my first week of the month “most anticipated movies of the month” video and my second and fourth week of the month “something that has to do with the month moves” video, on the third week of the month I will do a review a movie in my Blu-Ray collection. Here we go with M. Night Shyamalan’s Signs.

            The acting for this film was very good. Mel Gibson, of course, does great as Graham Hess. Joaquin Phoenix does very well as Merrill Hess. Rory Culkin does very well as Morgan Hess. Abigail Breslin does very well as Bo Hess. These performances really masked the tone of the film. That is what made the acting really good overall.

            The writing in film, by Mr. Shyamalan himself, did have his signature incredibly overdramatic lines method, but it was still great. This is an original story, which has many unpredictable elements that make this film as good as it is. This film did not have many twists and turns, but when it did, it brought a huge “WOW” to all of the viewers. It was great at being a mystery movie. It had all of the elements in this department of the film that all of Shyamalan’s good films have. It had that great tone of mystery and suspense throughout. Certain scenes in this film would be absurd if they were not written so well into the story of the film. Those scenes fit in perfectly with this script. It had incredibly well-written events. The script for this movie is basically what carries it. That is why the script for this movie is great. I cannot quite say that it is excellent.

            The story of this film could come off clichéd, but with the point of view and direction Signs went, it became original, like I had said. The way it follows the farmers’ story of their points of view on this tragedy, it becomes a brilliant movie. There are not many things I can say about the story that are not positives, because I cannot really think of any. It is not flawless and it is not perfect. It just follows itself amazingly and incredibly. The events are also amazing. They are so well done, so well written, and so unpredictable. That is basically all I can say about the events. The story and events are excellent.

            By the way my review is going; you probably think I am a fanatic of this movie. Well, the enjoyableness of the film weighs it down. I did enjoy it, but it has many dull moments and many boring moments. Though, it had a small number of moments of intensity and there are scenes of it being enjoyable. It was slow, but that was story buildup. I will say that I did enjoy this movie, though.

            Some things that I did not already say were that the special effects and score were great in this film. The way the special effects and the makeup worked are phenomenal and incredible. The score really matched the film and added so much to it. The mood and even the tone in the film were highly affected by the way the score was in the film and of the score in general.

            Signs had very good acting, great writing, an excellent story, excellent events, was mostly enjoyable, had great special effects, and a great score, but had many dull moments and many boring moments. This is a very, very good movie.

            On my rating scale, I rate this film “I’ll Probably Buy This”.
            On the grading rating scale, I give it an A-.
            On the out-of-10 scale, I give Signs an 8.3/10.


            Sorry about the length of this review. I tried to get this video up as soon as I could at the end of this week because I had so many reviews to upload this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment