Saturday, October 19, 2013

American Horror Story: Coven Episode 2 "Body Parts" Review

WARNING: I GIVE SPOILERS FOR THE EPISODE!

            I just got the review for the premiere up a few days ago, and this one is tardy, too. As American Horror Story: Coven continues on, we get closer to the characters, see what they are capable of, and see who they really are… kind of.

            I will of course start with Violet 2.0. She is obsessed with Tate 3.0 and wishes he did not die, so when the lawyer people come in and push her over the edge, she acts like a complete idiot and tells them everything. I somewhat understand why she did it, but it really irritated me, and I took points off of the episode for it, because I see it as a fault for the writing. Anyway, as I mentioned a few sentences earlier, she wants Tate 3.0 back to life (kind of) so guess what Emma Roberts does? She brings him back to life. I admit, I thought that scene of the episode was good. It was cool how it showed the spell they were using on Tate 3.0 and what it was doing. It was also cool how when Tate 3.0 comes back to life, he kills that guy and is moving around like Frankenstein because the idiot teenagers sewed different guys’ body parts on him. At the end, she makes an encounter from Nora 3.0, who is a completely different character now, to save them. Her story in this episode, yet interesting, felt a bit forced and I think they could have gone in a much better direction with it, but it was still enjoyable.

            Now we get to that girl from Asylum how I cannot remember the correct name of who was a reporter that got hurt there 2.0. Her side story about her not being able to have her baby, which was the only role she played in this episode, was a side story that I did not care for. It was much unneeded and was just there so we could see her and get another dash of dark magic to keep the audience entertained. That spell she used to have a baby was interesting and cool, but that was the only element of that side story that stood out. It was entertaining, but it felt a big hard to enjoy.

            Now, I get to Constance 3.0, my favorite character of this show. Though, I had problems with some scenes with her character and some of her dialogue. First off, in the scene when she barges into the room with Violet 3.0 and Emma Roberts, then flings those across the room had a small flaw. Some lines of dialogue tried to be more dramatic than it had covered with the writing. Also, that scene and the scene before had silly lines of dialogue and some unrealistic things that happen. Though, as the episode went on, that silly and stupid things happened less. Another flaw I had with her story is that in a later scene, the one when she was getting her hair cut and that witch lady comes out, the dialogue was supposed to be compelling and intense, but it turned out to be almost hilariously bad. Luckily, that is the only scene of this section of the episode that had dialogue that bad, because the next conversation with her and the lady that tortured the slaves actually had good dialogue. With this setting out to be a “fun” season, that is very surprising. That is not the only good event that happened with her story. Of course, almost the whole thing was enjoyable and it was intense when she had the lady who tortured the slaves tied up. I really like her character. I would just like the scenes she is in to be better.

            Lastly, I will talk about Nora 3.0. I have one word to say about her character: wow. That first scene, when she made the alligator come back life was awesome. I loved how later when Violet 3.0 and Emma Roberts try to use her power, it calls her toward them. I really like the mythology this season is creating with these witches. The words that came out of Nora 3.0’s mouth sounded real and felt real for her character. It was because the writing and acting was great there. I really, really like the direction they are going in with this character.

            Now it is time to talk about the episode in general. The episode ran into one or two dull moments, but I enjoyed a lot of it and was entertained by most of it. This episode had much more humor than the premiere, reflecting on the fact that this is a fun story of this season. The writing for this episode had some elements were better than the premiere, but sadly, the writing for this episode was mostly worse than the writing in the premiere. This episode had more stupidity and silly lines of dialogue in the writing than the premiere and had worse events than the ones in the premiere. This episode was still good, though, despite my small gripes with it.


            It is now time to rate the episode.
            On the grading rating scale, I give it a B.
            On the out-of-10 rating scale, I give it a 7.9/10.




No comments:

Post a Comment