Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Bridge Season 1 Episode 12 "All About Mary" Review

WARNING: I GIVE SPOILERS FOR THE EPISODE!


            I am now starting a new segment on my YouTube channel and this “blog” where I will review every television episode of what I see. Also, since it is just an episode, I will not ask the questions I usually do to focus my review. Here is my episode review of The Bridge: Episode 12 “All About Eva”.
            
            After last week’s episode, “Take the Ride, Pay the Toll” this show really got itself high up there because of the episode’s intensity and momentum the whole way through. This is basically an aftermath episode of last week’s. It will be hard for this to live up to last week’s episode. I did expect to really like this one, though. But, I have to say… I did! Usually, if there is a big episode in a television show that is not the finale; the next episode (aftermath episode) is really slow. This episode had its fair show of slowness, but it introduced new subjects for the show.
            
            This new case with the missing girl that ties into the guy that never opens his mouth to talk was a good thing for the show. I was interested in it, and liked how it showed where she was going. And, that scene with her all drugged up and chained up… wow. That actually made me say “wow” out loud when I watched that. That guy that never opens his mouth to talk is going through a rough time, and you somewhat feel for him. It was, though, a stupid decision for him to go to the El Paso police to help look for a girl when Juarez when they had already interrogated him there, though.
            
            Now I will get onto the subject of Marco Ruiz. Man, is that guy broken. He yelled at Sonya for being Sonya. I was interested with his storyline through the episode, anyway. The actor, Demian Bichir, portrayed him well being drunk and being incredibly sad and depressed. I never really felt for him, though. The whole time I was entertained by his appearances in the episode, but I think they needed to express the tone more. Play sad music, show more of him, or just make him go completely crazy in a scene. I liked his progression through the episode, and he had good dialogue as a plus for his storyline in this episode. Another gripe with his is storyline is: his dream. Or I think it was a dream. Whatever, it looked like it was a dream. Anyway, that was unneeded, and, as soon as he gets there the car with David Tate in it conveniently pulls up. I know it was a dream, I think, but wait a minute or two. Though, David Tate’s reaction to seeing Marco was great. All he did was nod, and that is all he needed to do. That is the main reason why I did not like it being a dream.
            
            Now I have to talk about Sonya. (I do not have a picture for her) I will start from the beginning. She does not have anything left to hold onto. The last thing she has to remember her sister is gone. I liked how that scene was executed. It was also a well-written scene. She acts like Sonya would act in that situation. Also, I liked how they addressed that when David Tate hit her car, it actually did damage and she needed a new one, but I do not think that it would be a month before she deals with this as a big fat minus to the episode. But wait, she still has the tape. And, throughout the rest of the episode you can see it in her face that she is struggling and suffering because of the loss of that car. I loved the way they addressed that. Movies and television series today think that they need to really express that someone is suffering by making them cry or make them do something crazy. This episode proves that all you need to do is make someone have a look in their eye to let the audience know that she is having problems. Extremely well executed and a great portrayal of that by Diane Kruger. Lastly, she tries to get with Marco to help both of them out mutually with their sadness. I cannot believe I did not guess that when she went out of her way to go to Juarez, go into the bar, get his drunk self out of there, drive him home, tuck him in, stay the night, then make breakfast for him the next morning, being Sonya. It sounds obvious there, but it was not as obvious watching the show. Anyway, I barely know what to think about that. It is a good thing, but I have no idea where they will go with that.
            
            Now I will go with Charlotte. You do not see much of her in this episode, but when you do, she is handling business by herself. She is actually negotiating with Fausto Galvan about the tunnel, and somewhat wins. I like where her character is going, and I like that she is starting to use the tunnel positively.
            
            In the two scenes they were in, a little something happened with Daniel Frye and Adriana Mendez. Only something little happened. I will just address the little thing that happened. Mendez and her mother get in a fight. That five second was somewhat intense. I have never really seen Mendez yell. And Frye acts the same way.
            
            Now I will just talk about the episode. It had a few flukes, but I could get past them. The main aspect of how you think an aftermath episode is when you are watching is “Is it boring or am I enjoying it?” There were some boring scenes and some scenes I was entertained by but did not go anywhere and took a small number of points away from the film. I can say, though, that most of this episode was enjoyable. Is the episode as good as most of the episodes this season? No, there is actually only one other episode I would say is worse than this. For what this episode was, though, it was very, very good. Just as it was in general, it was good. It could have been better though. It had room for improvement, and they could have cut off scenes sooner. My only other problem with the episode is that almost half of its major events were weak. Nothing really happened in this episode, but again, it is an aftermath episode.

            
            Now I will rate the film. Also, there is one more thing I will not be doing in episode reviews. I will not rate them on my “phrases” rating system. I still will be rating them out of 10 and on the grading scale though. I give The Bridge: Episode 12 “All About Eva” a B+ and a 7.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment