Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Strain - Season 1, Episode 3 "Gone Smooth" Review


            Sometimes while watching thrillers I find myself starting to be unsatisfied with what I’m seeing. I’ll wonder to myself, “Why do I feel like the movie (or television episode) needs to give me more? I’m really enjoying it. I’m interested in it. I’m not bored by it. It’s well directed. It’s well acted. It’s well written.” Whatever I’m watching has to be well directed, acted, and written for all of that to work, so it’s movies or television episodes that I do feel are well directed, acted and written that I’m finding really entertaining that I also think have something missing that I think this in. I’ve recently realized that these thrillers are just lacking thrills. It’s well done and I’m enjoying it, but it’s just not having enough thrills. I’m not saying that I felt this way throughout this entire episode, but I did feel that way for the first half.

            In this episode of The Strain, the “surviving” passengers on the airplane start to get even stranger and more disgusting and disturbing symptoms, Ephraim (Corey Stoll) goes to the custody hearing, and Abraham (David Bradley) gets released from jail and starts his plan to stop the spread of the disease. When Ephraim is done with his person business, he joins Nora (Mia Mastro) to find out what disease is in Captain Redfern (Jonathan Potts) and hopefully get rid of it. While Ephraim is at the custody hearing, Nora meets up with Abraham to find out what he thinks they have to do to stop the disease. Jim Kent (Sean Astin) meets up with somebody he made a deal with to find out what’s going on.

            As I have already said, for the first half of this episode I was very interested in what was going on. I was not bored by the show. I didn’t find it dull. I just felt that something was missing. The episode needed more thrills. Thankfully, the second half is full of scares, thrills, and disturbing things. The first half is some character development. I was very interested in what was going to happen at the custody hearing, and what did happen boosted the episode. It had me feeling pity for the main character, but also feeling that he may not be right, which is always good for the main character. He is not a perfect human that is always treated poorly by everyone; he’s wrong once in a while. As far as the character development with Nora, we don’t learn anything, but the plot was progressed in her scene with Abraham.

            We also learn a bit more about Vaslily Fet (Kevin Durand), who I didn’t realize would become a main character. When he inspects what rat bit someone’s child on the face, he find out the rats are running away, scared of something. This plot point doesn’t seem crucial to the series, but it was interesting to me. I don’t whether Vaslily will remain a main character for future episodes, but I hope his storyline doesn’t become too big if he does.

            In my reviews of the first two episodes of this season, I commented on how well directed I thought they both were, even though they were done by different directors. I said that Guillermo del Toro did the better job of the two, although David Semel still did a very good job. This episode is directed by Semel as well, and I didn’t really find that the direction for it was fantastic. The episode definitely was well made, and the scares and thrills were well directed, but nothing really stuck out as great. However, the writing for the episode was still very good. The dialogue did seem very realistic like things actual people would say. The characters were well realized, and I enjoyed watching their progressions (and regressions, for some). The narrative elements of the episode were very good; they kept me interested.

            The first two episodes were very good at making the scares were abrupt and very affecting, to me at least. Luckily, they are the same here. There are some scenes with a build-up of tension, and although it was by far not the most affecting tension I’ve ever seen on horror shows on television, it was good. The scares in this episode that were more disturbing were done better. Something about those scenes made them very effective in actually scaring the audience instead of grossing them out. However, there was one scene that did rely on disgust to try to scare the audience, and it felt more disgusting than disturbing. It was only one, though. As far as the thrills go, they’re very sudden and very thrilling. There were some moments in these scenes that the direction did stick out to me. There were good thrills in this episode.


            This episode may not be directed as well as the first two, but it’s still very well written and very interesting. Any lack of scares and thrills in the first half were made up for in the second half, and there was also good character development.

No comments:

Post a Comment